From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:03:36 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:31:06 -0700
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Coordinate conversion on WWII aircraft crashes
Sender: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>

Since this seems to be the place where people know about maps,
coordinates, history, and cross-referencing information, here's a
question I've been asked that I can't answer myself.

This person is working on a project to locate aircraft crash sites from
World War II. He says:

> In the original maps of the Second World War I have some coordinate that I need to convert in UTM format.
>
>For example I know that 44' 19'' 62s North - 11' 43'' 29s East is Equal to M328169 in the Second World War maps.
>
>Do you have the possibility to tell me what geography coordinate format the Commonwealth troops  used in the Second World War in Italy?

You can respond directly if you like; I'll post a short summary of
answers to MAPS-L in any case.

TIA,

- Bill Thoen
GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302
tel: 303-786-9961, fax: 303-443-4856
mailto:[log in to unmask], http://www.ctmap.com/gisnet
--- End Forwarded Message ---