From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:34:15 -0500
Subject: RE: Maps that show shipping routes?]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:05:49 -0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Ilene Raynes:

There are items such as 'Lloyd's maritime atlas' deliberately aimed at
insurance firms and shippers: contains, i.a., routes and ports & harbours
plans.

For weather and currents the patron could turn to any national
hydrographic charting agency: our [British] Admiralty's Hydrographic
Office <http://www.ukho.gov.uk>, for example, produces and sells these
kind of *world-wide* charts (hard copy and electronic forms)- not just
charts of the British Isles!

For routes of specific minerals I leave to your US colleagues (partly on
account of accessibility of materials for your patron); it might be a
case of searching reference works/websites of specific industries.
Examples we have here are:-

World sulphur and sulphuric acid atlas & plant list / British Sulphur
[Corporation Ltd ; editor : Martin Pearce ; compiler : Martin Gentner].
- 5th ed. - London : British Sulphur Corporation, 1989. - 124p. : ill.
(some col.), col. maps ; 31 cm. - Includes 'Addenda and Corrigenda':
p.15. - ISBN 0-902777-89-0

World fertilizer atlas / British Sulphur [Corporation Ltd ; editor :
Sharon Thomas]. - 8th ed. - London : British Sulphur Corporation, 1987.
- 124p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 31 cm. - ISBN 0-902777-83-1

Francis Herbert (curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections'/'Unlocking the Archives']