From:
"Angie Cope, American Geographical Society Library UWM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:14:55 -0500

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005
From: Christopher Winters <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Records to Pieces Ratio

A survey I did a few years ago suggested that at the University of Chicago
Map Collection, there are almost exactly 5 sheets per title. The survey
assumed that monographic series (like the USGS I series) would be
analyzed, while sets of topos wouldn't be. I believe the survey was
statistically fairly sound. We used a large enough sample so that the
results are more than 99% likely to be accurate to within a few percent.
But different map libraries have very different collections. The U of C
Map Collection has a large number of one-sheet urban and geology titles.
Libraries where sets of topos constitute a larger proportion of holdings
will have a higher sheet-to-title ratio.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris Winters
University of Chicago Library