Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1993 16:08:29 EDT
Re:  Maps of cities in northern Germany/Poland, 1780-1810.
In a quick search at NYPL Map Div., I found only a couple of maps for Hamburg,
and citations for more of Hamburg, but none for the other cities requested.
For Hamburg in 1800 we have A plan of the city of Hamburg, published by I.
Stockdale, Piccadilly, 1800.  Source is A geographical, historical and
political description of the Empire of Germany, Holland ... (and that's all
we've got for the citation). It shows fortifications. For 1801, Hamburg is
included in vol. 2 of Select plans of the principal cities, harbours, forts
&c. in the world by John Luffman (London, 1801). Also shows fortifications.
More citations to Hamburg maps for that period are included in Plane und
Grundrisse von Stadten kapitalistischer Lander Europas (1500-1850) (Bearbeitet
von Wolfram Klaus, Berlin, 1980-85, 4 vols.). I could send photocopies of the
appropriate pages if you (Johnnie?) like. But the Luffman's not in good enough
shape to quick-copy. I just thought of a couple other places to check.  I'll
let you know if anything else turns up.

Nancy Kandoian
NYPL Map Div.
(212) 930-0588