From:
"Tardy, Garth L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2019 12:23:07 +0000
Greetings,

  As a “Special Formats” Cataloger I catalog a wide variety of materials, not just maps, where these issues arise. For our library this occurs  most notably in the large sheet music collection we have. As you might imagine, depictions of African-Americans, the Irish, women, and just about anyone not a cis-het white male can be pretty atrocious. I do provide subject access to that cover art and feel that therein lies one of the rich research potentials for the collection. Those images show us, graphically, where we’ve been as a nation, how far we’ve come (or not!), and illustrates those historic changes in thought and privilege that are still underway today.

It has to be the same with the maps as well. I’ve cataloged maps with Native American and African American depicted on them and treat those images just as I do the sheet music covers: as areas of discovery, questioning, and future research.

Garth Tardy

Special Formats Cataloger

University of Missouri—Kansas City.