From:
"LAMONT, MELISSA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:07:54 EST
If you are not an American Libraries Association
member you may want to hit the delete key now.

Sorry for any duplication, but this could be
of interest to ALA Map and Geography Round Table
members
   Melissa Lamont
   Penn State

>Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:37:25 -0600
>From: Larry Romans <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ALA Reorganization Article
>Sender: Discussion of Government Document Issues <[log in to unmask]>

Below is the text of an article about ALA reorganization and its
Structure Revision Task Force (SRTF), of which I am a member.
It was written by SRTF chair Sarah Pritchard, with many comments from
the other members of the task force.

If you have e-mail comments for the SRTF, please send them to
so that the entire task force will see them.

Larry Romans

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH ALA STRUCTURE??

(also to be published in American Libraries, May 1996)

by Sarah M. Pritchard
Chair, ALA Structure Revision Task Force

What really happened to the proposal for a new ALA structure?  Amid
many rumors and reports, the truth is that it was never accepted.
Responding to wide objections, the ALA Council did not feel there
was support for implementation, yet there are clearly areas where
the organization can be more effective.  The result was the new Structure
Revision Task Force, whose charge is only "to further explore proposals
for revised structure" and "to propose a revised structure if the task force
deems one is necessary."  Our new group is widely representative, with
membership drawn from divisions, round tables, Council and staff.

So far, the new SRTF has looked at reorganization efforts in ALA since
the 1960s, and at what is being done now in divisions, round tables and
staff offices.  Rereading earlier consultant reports, we on the task force
believe that the Association has moved rapidly to address operational
issues and programmatic priorities.  We will not bring back the
Organizational Self-Study Committee (OSSC) "four societies" proposal,
nor do we intend to propose major organizational redesign.

The OSSC made over forty separate recommendations prior to the
structure proposal, many of which prompted productive changes in
Council, Executive Board, and committees.  Though some controversial
ideas were defeated by Council, they led indirectly to creative
rethinking throughout the Association.  Divisions like ACRL and PLA
are undertaking internal reviews on their own initiative.  At Midwinter,
Council passed proposals to improve conference logistics and to increase
training for effective participation in the Association.  And the actions
endorsed in Goal 2000, such as a dues increase to expand the Washington
Office, have galvanized the Association with clear and shared
objectives to align ALA with the public's right to a free and open
information society.

What are the next steps?  The SRTF recognizes that governance, overlap
and policy issues do exist, but we would like to hear your input as
members of the Association.  What do you think works well now?  What
ideas do you have for improving communication, the efficiency of the
organization, and the substantive work of ALA?  We'll report what we
find and suggest alternatives based on the needs and activities of our
members.  Members will have plenty of notice to debate any major change:
it would likely require a by-law revision, which would have to go
through two rounds of voting in Council then a mail vote by the Membership.

But first the SRTF needs to hear from you.  This article is being posted to
numerous listservs, and will be on a page under our name on ALA's World Wide
Web site (http://www.ala.org).  Send electronic mail for the SRTF to:
[log in to unmask]  Or write to Structure Revision Task Force, c/o
Emily Melton, American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago,
IL 60611.  Members of the task force are listed below, and with full addresses
in the ALA Handbook and the ALA Gopher and WWW pages.

Once we have more input we will distribute an outline of issues to be
addressed and suggestions for possible actions, to be discussed at the
Membership hearings, which will be held Sunday July 7 and Monday July 8,
from 1:00 to 2:00 each day during the annual conference in New York City.
Feedback forms will be available to fill out at the conference for those
who can't come to a hearing.  The Task Force anticipates that the outline
document will be available in May; it will be posted to ALA's home page,
or members may request copies from Emily Melton.

Membership of the Structure Revision Task Force:

Cathleen Bourdon
Julie Cummins
Mary Jo Lynch
Susan K. Martin
Regina Minudri
Sarah Pritchard, Chair
James Rettig
Larry Romans
Ann Snoeyenbos
Mary Somerville
Ann Symons
Karen Whitney
Jennifer Younger
Emily Melton, ALA Staff Liaison

Larry Romans,
Head, Government Information Department
Central Library, Vanderbilt University,
419 - 21st Ave. South
Nashville TN 37240-0007
phone (615) 322-2838; FAX (615) 343-7451
internet: [log in to unmask]