From:
"Kollen, Christine E - (kollen)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2017 21:43:05 +0000
Hi everyone:

I’ve been out of town, so this is my first opportunity to write about how I met Mary and her impact on my career.

I met Mary when I first started at the UA in the Map Collection, probably 1988 or 89, either through WAML or MAGERT. I was terribly nervous at my first professional presentation at WAML, Mary was so supportive and kind. I attended an ALA preconference cataloging workshop Mary and Betsy Mangan (maybe others?) gave on cataloging remote sensing images. It was a great workshop and I kept the materials for years afterward (even after I no longer had responsibility for cataloging).

I think the last time I saw Mary was at an ALA conference. Several map catalogers, Mary, Susan Moore, Betsy Mangan, and Barbara Story were going out to dinner to talk about a book they were working on.

I am so sad to hear of her passing and feel fortunate to have known her. Rest in peace Mary.

Chris Kollen