From:
"Joyce A. Ryerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:08:35 EDT
I want to thank those who responded to my question about a secure map room.
Fifteen people sent opinions:
        9 said to secure area
        2 said to leave it open
        4 did not specify

area if staff are not always around.  Rare and valuable maps and books should
always be secured.  Sending this material to Special Collections might be an
option.  Maps are a unique format that patrons often need help with in locating
and interpreting.  Sheet level access can be difficult with sets.  Access to
maps that are not online will be a problem.  Circulation could present problems
in damage to the maps if care is not taken in where they are returned and how
they are sent out.

Some people also mentioned that map rooms require a lot of space in storing and
using the material.  We had a meeting with the architects and library
administrators yesterday. The talk was of a secure area with glass/wood walls
that will not go all the way to the ceiling so it still has an openness.  I
will be sharing a floor with media.  They have the same concerns that I do.
Nothing is "for sure" yet, but the responses I received from MAPS-L people were
read by the administrators.  Thanks to one and all.

Joyce
Baker Library Map Room