From:
"Paul R. Larson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 16:15:31 EDT
Recently I sent a message to the list asking for suggestions for repairing
old maps.  I want to share the responses I received with the list.  Some do
not apply to our particular situation, but contain information others of
you might find useful.  Our maps are classroom-type maps dating from the
1940s and later.  Most are not the type of thing one might archive, but
some might be.  Some are old student cartography projects.  In most cases,
only small portions of the map are affected, rather than the entire map.
Our goal is to lengthen their life until the budget will allow us to
replace them with more current material.

Here, then are some of the responses:

From: [log in to unmask] (P. Andrew Ray)

From: James Gouger <[log in to unmask]>

From: Alberta Wood <[log in to unmask]>

From: [log in to unmask]

>Paul,
>I would never respond to MAPS-L with what we do for some of those old wall maps
>as the conservationists would tar and feather me. The trade off is to make the
>map useful for researchers and so what we did was cut the map in long strips of
>24" wide by 5-6' lengths (whatever the roll size is) and laminate the strips.
>We can usually do a normal wall map in 3 strips and it is still useful for its
>information. Obviously lamination is not a conservation technique but we
>certainly do not have the money to pay to have them restored and have no
>intention to resell them.
>Good luck,
>Cheryl Woods
>Map Library
>University of Western Ontario
>London, Canada

Cheryl, By including your note with my message to the list, I do not intend
to have you tarred and feathered.  So, I offer my apologies, and I will be
the first to stand between you and the tar bucket.  But you offer a useful
suggestion.  You will notice that several others are similar.  I think the
applicability of this or any other technique depends on the nature of the
map and the ultimate purposes in preserving it.  My purpose is simply to
prolong their life until they can be replaced.  Paul

From: Scott Raymond Mc Eathron <[log in to unmask]>

From: [log in to unmask] (David Raymond)

From: "KEN ROCKWELL" <[log in to unmask]>

>Hello, Paul:  Sorry it took me a bit...  Your question is out of my
>field of expertise, but I've contacted our preservation expert, Randy
>Silverman, who will get in touch with you.  Hope this helps...  Ken R

Randy Silverman called me on the telephone and offered the following
suggestion.  He said to obtain a polyvinyl acetate glue, such as "Elmers."
Use the white glue, not the yellow woodworking "Elmers."  Thin the glue
50-50 with water, and apply it to the backing and pieces of map with a
small paint brush.  Use a damp paper towel to wipe up excess glue.Then let
it dry under pressure by placing a weight on it.  To prevent the weight
from sticking to the map, place a piece of waxed paper between them.  Allow
the glue to dry thoroughly.  When dry, the glue is flexible, and can be
rolled up with the map.  This is not a preservation technique, but merely a
method to prolong the life of the map.  Randy, if I missed anything in the
explanation, please let me know.

Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate it greatly.  When you have a
question, the list members really come through.

Sincerely,
Paul R. Larson

Paul R. Larson
Assistant Professor, Geography