From:
"Fry, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:21:53 -0400
This does not address Andria's question (i.e., "Were these Children's
Bureau maps separately issued?"), but I want to clarify something about the
Serial Set maps Jim referenced. I managed the scanning project from the
UMd. end, so I had a front row seat.

The purpose of that scanning project, which was undertaken when the product
was still owned by LexisNexis, was to upgrade the existing digital Serial
Set's b&w maps, all of which had been scanned from microfiche. When we set
out to ID and locate and extract maps from bound Serial Set (or equivalent
agency-issued) volumes, we aimed specifically for high value targets that
would most effectively replace the low-res b&w scans, i.e., anything that
was color, oversized, and/or graphically detailed that couldn't be easily
read online. So if the low-res, b&w fiche scans were good enough to
communicate the map content, we left 'em alone and did not pull print
copies for scanning.

The b&w maps I see in those digitized CB reports are page maps (not
oversize), and they're not very graphically complicated. Money and time
were in short supply by the time we'd entered the early 20th century (the
project proceeded chronologically through the Serial Set), so if the CB
reports are in the Serial Set (they don't ring a bell, but it's been a
dozen years), it is highly unlikely that we scanned them. That is,
whatever's in the ProQuest product will likely look similar to what you can
see at the URL Andria sent out.

Not that anybody was asking. ;)

mf

--
*Michael Fry*
Collections Manager | Map Library Manager

[image: Nat Geo Logo Yellow_Black.png] <http://www.nationalgeographic.org>

1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036

<https://www.nationalgeographic.org>