From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1993 13:02:29 EDT
Here are two messages concerning the question of what to do with old dealer
catalogs.  -------Johnnie

--------------------------------------

      Fri Aug 6 17:30:43 EDT 1993
         Re: Dealer catalogs

Map Div, NYPL keeps most of these catalogs. They are not extensively used, but
we feel strongly they are an important part of the historical record of the
field of cartography. Our files date from the 1940s or so to the present, with
the heaviest files from the 1970s forward. These files have been useful for
studies of particular firms and their evolving products over the years. They
are useful for price histories. I think they complement the cartographic
collections, as a map library is not just a collection of maps. The story
behind the maps is important, and if the map librarians don't maintain that
story, who does? E.g., where are the General Drafting archives, the Sanborn
archives,   etc. etc. Sometimes that old catalog from 1948 is the only thing
out there...so do think hard before pitching them out. Or think regionally,
and keep catalogs for Michigan dealers only...Good luck on this, I know space
is at a premium, as it is here, and the time and energy spent on these is not
to be ignored, but these ratty little catalogs and lists are part of the
cartobibliographic record...sigh, what isn't these days...I'm outta here, it's
5:45 on Friday afternoon, Bye! Alice H.

-------------------------------------

              Fri, 06 Aug 93 16:32:37 EDT
              Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
              Re: Dealer catalogs

Diana:  I keep old dealer catalogs because our collection development librarian
occasionally asks for examples of significant price increases for various
reports he is asked to make.  The catalogs make it easy to compare price
changes over the years.  I keep maybe the last 5 years or so.

Gwen Curtis
Map Collection
University of Kentucky Library
Lexington, KY