From:
Maps-L Moderator for Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:30:43 -0600
Subject:        Re: Paper vs. Digital maps
Date:   Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From:   Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     [log in to unmask]

Hi, Mike and Jean,

I've certainly thought about it, but with the size of my collection (only medium-sized at about 275,000 maps) it is daunting.  I have had a grant funded project in here scanning maps off and on over the last few years.  The end product of that has been nearly 10,000 maps scanned out of the collection.  Because the group only wanted the map scans, we did not set up a procedure to deal with all of this content from the start.  From the last scanning project I managed, I can tell you that the scanning is the easiest part of the deal.  Creating the metadata, finding server space to store the imagery (with sufficient backup copies made), figuring out how you'll create access to the maps, and then if you'll allow people to download them as necessary.  We are starting to figure out all of these steps right now and would be happy to share with you what we decide as we go through the process.

I don't think I'm interested in scanning the whole collection at this point. There isn't enough use of some of the maps to warrant it given our time and budgets.  One can argue that scanning will create use, though.

Best,

Julie

***
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Head Librarian; GIS & Map Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)725-1102