From:
Susan Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2015 15:25:51 -0700
Thank you to everyone who has replied both on and off list with their
experiences and suggestions. The most commonly reported system seems to be
the gripper bars, but there is quite a diversity of approaches. We're
looking at a relatively small space (~7 feet length) for a pretty informal
display. Given these factors, and the fact that it happens to be right next
to our security gates (making closed loops of metal a problem), it sounds
like our best option might be a securely mounted gripper bar.

Cheers!
Susan

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Emily Prince <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This solution perhaps misses the mark, but it's another idea to keep in
> mind for map display.
>
> Stanford's paper conservator Deb Fox once suggested having a large magnet
> board in the Map Room so that users could see the center of large maps
> without leaning over them on a table top.  Because Deb was coming from the
> perspective of preservation, she liked the idea of using magnets because
> they would neither pierce nor kind the paper.
>
> Good luck and please share your solution!
>
> Best,
>
> Emily Prince
> *
> Map Cataloger
> Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
> Stanford University
>
> On 12 May 2015 at 13:50, Susan Powell <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon,
>> We'd like to show off some of our new map acquisitions and are looking at
>> some different display rail options.
>>
>> One option would be something like: http://www.demco.com/goto?BLS172159 where
>> we'd hang binder clips from the hooks to hold the maps.
>>
>> Another option is the "tackless" style rail (something like
>> http://www.demco.com/goto?BLS172155) which grabs the top of the map.
>>
>> We'd appreciate hearing any experiences using either of these systems, or
>> others.
>> Thanks!
>> Susan
>>
>> --