From:
Rick Grapes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Map Librarians etc.
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 22:36:15 +0000
We here at BYU moved our map collection, 240,000 maps, back in the late 90's from one level to another.  At first we tried moving the cases full of maps.  But that maxed out the elevators as well as bent up the cases.  We also tried removing the maps and reinserting the empty drawers back into the cases before the elevator ride.  But found that it was faster and less of a back ache, to keep the drawers out and transport everything in 3 trips.  One for the maps, one for the drawers, and one for the cases.  Here's the breakdown.  We'd empty a stack of 10 drawers at a time, placing all the maps, the now empty drawers, and the 2 cases, each on their own pallet.  But the elevators weren't big enough to take both the pallets and the jacks.  So we had to insert the stack in the elevator with one worker riding along, and the other had to run upstairs and insert a 2nd pallet jack through the now opened doors to remove the contents.  The 2 cases, 10 drawers, and maps were hauled to the new area and reassembled.  The mental challenge was keeping track of what contents went where.  The top 2 cases on the original floor, ended up becoming the bottom 2 cases when reassembled in the new location.  Where we were able to stack the cases 4 and 5 high on the 1st floor, we were limited to 3 high on the 2nd floor, thus complicating things even further.

One thing that's been said by others is paramount.  Make sure you don't try to mix and match the drawers and the cases.  Make sure the 5 drawers are reinserted into their original case.  On the back of each drawer is a rubber stopper attached to a right angled piece of the drawer.  When the cases come from the factory, these bumpers are adjusted to fit into that specific case.  If you try to insert drawers from one case into another, the drawers may slide in to deep, run off their rails, drop, and become wedged way in the back.  The only way to reopen the drawer is to have someone, skinnier than me, crawl underneath the drawer, and push up along the back edge of the drawer, while someone else pulls from the front.  Usually this jamming problem doesn't become evident until the drawers are filled with maps.  So don't assume you've gotten away with things.  Once the drawers are full, you might get a surprise.  A less than ideal but workable solution, is to take a pair of vice grips, and gently bend the L shaped piece on both sides in the back of each drawer.  This way the drawer will no longer overshoot the rails, drop, and get wedged.

Hope this helps,
Rick Grapes
BYU Map Collection