From:
"Fry, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:55:25 -0400
Angie,
I use folders for everything in flat files because the maps for which I
might otherwise *not* use folders (e.g., USGS topos), are stored in
vertical files.

Years ago, at UMd., the USGS topos were stored in flat files w/o folders.
The sheets were organized alpha by state and sheet name, so folders seemed
unnecessary, at least from an organizational standpoint. I don't recall how
many 7.5" maps were in each drawer, but drawers holding topo maps of
non-local states were pretty full and heavy, maps stacked an inch or so
thick, as I remember it. The drawers holding the more heavily
used local maps were more user-friendly.

HTH.
Michael

--
*Michael Fry*
Collections Manager | Map Library Manager

[image: Nat Geo Logo Yellow_Black.png] <http://www.nationalgeographic.org>

1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036

<https://www.nationalgeographic.org>