From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:48:55 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:22:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: map circulation/preservation (fwd)

My library has had, for various non-traditional materials that circulate
but infrequently, or for those things that don't circulate but can with
permission on a special basis, a slip we call "Special Loan Form".  This
is an old and very low technology, and actually contains a carbon sheet!.

It's a small slip, about 3" x 5", with spaces to indicate the item or
items borrowed, date borrowed and date due, information about the
borrower, and the signature of the lending staffer.  I have allowed maps
to be borrowed for the day or overnight to be copied at another location
(say an office, or at a color copier, which I lack but is at another
library location), or for a class presentation when size of the map
matters as much as the information it conveys.

As I indicated above, it has a carbon slip, meaning a copy is produced
when it is filled out.  We attach the original yellow slip to the item and
retain the carbon copy until the item is returned.  For maps I have most
often attached the slip to the tube for carrying the map.  The little bit
of tape is not going to harm the cardboard of the tube in any egregious
way, and the map is then only rolled.  If the slip had to be taped to the
map, it could be removed carefully by peeling the tape back over itself
slowly.  It usually comes off without tearing the paper.  But I usually
issue a tube with the map.  The patrons like that anyway because they
realize how much easier it is in the tube.  I have not lost maps, and I
have had all the tubes returned.

If a map is late returning, I have the copy of the slip and can  use it to
contact the borrower.  I suppose there could be other systems, even better
ones, so I am curious to see other respondents' ideas

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA