From:
"Traichel, Rudi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:53:52 +0000
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has placed their full map cabinets on the ground level metal shelves in their high density storage facilities? If so have you had any problems with the bottom lower metal shelves being able to bear the weight or any  problems with space limitations cause by placing the cabinets, generally 44 to 50 inches wide x 36 to 45 inches deep, stacked three or four units high. We will be moving the inventoried maps into the facility in the coming months, using the ladder sections that do not have back bracing. The other option is to use  two by fours under the cabinets, something other libraries have done.

I have had a look at the Weight of map cabinets<http://www.waml.org/mapcabwt.html> chart found on the wonderful WAML site, so I thought it would bear asking. Just to be sure.  I was told it was possible. I am not sure.

Thank you,

Rudi

Rudolf Traichel
Collections Management and Planning Librarian (Acting)
UBC CTS - Cataloguing - Floor 3 - Woodward Library
-- 2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3 CANADA

CTS Tel:(604)<tel:(604)> 822-3083 ; Map inventory (604) 822-7257; Fax: (604) 822-3201