From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:46:44 EST
2 messages.----------------------Johnnie

>Date:         Tue, 28 Nov 95 09:43:30 CST
>From:         "Jennie Dienes, Univ. of Kansas" <JDIENES@UKANVM>
>Subject:      Re: Manych depression?

Dear Darius Bartlett: I called Prof. Leslie Dienes at the Dept. of Geog. here
at KU on this one since he teaches the geog. of the ex-USSR.  This name is pro-
nounced manich not manik and it does indeed exist.  Find Roston-on-Don at the
upper part of the Sea of Azov.  Then find the Kuma River flowing into the Cas-
pian Sea.  Along that line, you should find the Manych Lake, and other low
lying areas.  This area between Sea of Azov and Caspian is the Manych Depres-
sion.  On the Map: World Sedimentary Basins and Related Features by Penn-
Well Maps (1984), it is spelled Manyc Depression.  I looked in my general atlas
es and found the area but none specified it as Manych Depression--but maybe a
good geology atlas.  Good luck.

>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 11:32:47 -0400
>Subject: Manych Depression
>From:   [log in to unmask]

The "Manic" depression is also something else located here in Quebec
(Canada) (coordinates 51=B324N / 68=B344W). Now called the Manicouagan Rese=
rvoir,
it is a huge crater left by the fall of a meteor millions of years ago,
a crater that is visible on maps only since the Daniel-Johnson Dam was
built in the 1960's. The energy caused by the fall of that meteor must
have been much more important that the energy caused by the fall of the
meteor in Russia in the 1920's. It could have been mentioned in a documenta=
ry
about the Russian meteor...