From:
"Andrew, Paige G." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:45:38 +0000
Craig,

To be hopefully helpful to patrons, I use the 522 field most often for any kind of map that encompasses a non-jurisdictional area that is not well-explained by a title (or one of two or more titles) and/or subject heading(s). This can be an area that overlaps multiple states or countries or counties, the area encompassing a river watershed or even the path of a river (or similar body of water) that flows across two or more jurisdictions, or even a multi-county area within a state (or similar situation in another country).

Another way I use this field is to convey how many sheets completes the geographic coverage intended by a map set or series when using just "maps" in the 300$a field. For instance, you will see the following note sometimes:

522 Geographic coverage complete in 68 sheets.

Of course, an alternate means of conveying this kind of information is to use a 500 note. That said, why use a "general" note when there's one established that focuses on geographic area situations.

Paige Andrew
Cartographic Resources Cataloging Librarian
Penn State University