From:
"Ratliff, Louise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:57:52 +0000
Hi Angie,

Here is some useful guidance from the Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials, Cartographic, based on AACR2 and published this year. http://rbms.info/files/dcrm/dcrmc/DCRMC.pdf

Referring to DCRM(C), Area 4B concerns Place of publication, distribution, production, etc.  The general rule is: For manuscripts and other unpublished material, transcribe the names of places of production as part of this element.

This would be encoded in MARC as 264  _0, production.

Area 4C concerns Name of publisher, distributor, etc.  The general rule is: For manuscripts and other unpublished material, do not include this element. If the name of the producer appears in the chief source of information, transcribe it as a statement of responsibility. If the name of the producer appears elsewhere in the material, give it in a note.

I think you could follow this guidance for RDA cataloging and you would not be wrong.  I also agree that providing only the 264 $c is appropriate for unpublished materials if you do not know the place of production, based on RDA 2.7 "Core element" note for Production Statement.

Cheers,

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian
UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center
11020 Kinross Ave.
Box 957230
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230
(310)206-5853