From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:52:25 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Map grids
Date:   Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:34:24 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Senja,

I haven't seen any other replies to this message so I thought I'd jump in
feet first.

To start, standard "LC practice" in the United States is to add coordinates
data using the 255 subfield "c" and 034 subfields "d", "e", "f", and "g" if
they are available on the map in question. This is an Option according to
AACR2 rules but it makes sense to include this information as part of an
entire set of mathematical data, including scale and projection
information. That said, as Integrated Library Systems and other
computer-based algorithms are developed in order to be able to search on
coordinate (numeric) data it behooves us to at least make it a practice to
add the coordinates when they are in front of our noses as this is a very
powerful means of retrieving maps (and possibly other kinds of information
should coordinate data be added to them, see below) and other cartographic
information. And, all this certainly doesn't mean that if a cataloger has a
map in front of him/her without coordinates that they aren't welcome to use
an atlas or other reference source to find the coordinates needed and add
them (though time is a major factor for all catalogers!). For example,
there are lists of coordinates for U.S. states and many counties available
through multiple "map librarian's toolboxes" thanks to diligent and
thoughtful efforts to a handful of my colleagues over the years putting
these lists together and sharing them. You touch on this entire topic in
your last question, and my own view is noted above, that is I think we
should make an effort to include coordinates data in our records when they
are available.

You also note that this data is not static, but I think overall it IS
static in nature (the coordinates) -- what changes over time are the
boundaries we set to delineate countries from countries, states from
states, etc. Changes to administrative/political boundaries DO change over
time and have throughout history, so what is typically done within the bib.
record to assist with noting say, what used to be the Roman Empire, is
time-period information is placed in an 045 field. You might be interested
to know also that a group of U.S. map librarians, lead by Colleen Cahill at
the Library of Congress (LC) and Jimmie Lundgren at the University of
Florida, is trying to set up a system where coordinates data in an 034
field can be added to all LC Authority File records of place names, along
with 045 chronology data, in order to facilitate retrieval of all materials
that have the subject heading for a given place provided in the
bibliographic record -- and it isn't just for map use either. If this all
plays out as hoped, in the near future a patron may approach an OPAC and
search for Melbourne, Australia and retrieve not only maps and other
cartographic materials on this city but also texts, graphic images, videos
or other materials too.

So, you will find many records for maps in OCLC and RLIN, typically medium-
to small-scale in nature, that include do include coordinates, using the
255 and 034 fields.

The 342 field that you mentioned in your note is for a similar purpose
though is to be used for digital cartographic items -- typically a
cataloger can pull this coordinate and planar (and other) details from
metadata associated with the digital item in question. Subfields "i" and
"j" in this field are for "false easting" and "false northing" data -- not
coordinates -- and again this kind of information may be included in
metadata created with and for the digital item in question. Let me touch on
the first paragraph in your note to wrap things up. Typically, grid
information on hardcopy maps is not recorded at all when cataloging them,
or if they are they are given as a quoted note if there is some textual
information providing the name of the grid and other details, or as in the
example you give Zone information can be placed in 255 subfield "b" if a
projection statement is provided. You are quite right that specific grid
information (in the U.S. a common one is the State plane grid system) can
be placed in a 342 field, though I believe this is only done with digital
cartographic materials and not analog/hardcopy.

I'd welcome comments to assist my limited knowledge on applying some of the
digital cart. material data from my colleagues too....

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Maps Cataloging Librarian
Penn State University