From:
"Merriman, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:02:26 +0000
Hi all -

I have what I would have thought to be a pretty elementary question but I'm having problems finding answers.
I'm curious about scanning policies for local users, non-affiliated users, and formal ILL requests.
When I scan a map, I have this nagging believe that I've just reproduced 100% of a copyrighted work at 300 dpi.
I think that exceeds fair use and even academic use (maybe); should I only scan 20% of the map?

I also have been asked about providing scans of maps suitable for publishing in articles.
Would the author need an insubstantial part of the larger work, with a citation?
Are they limited to CC or public domain maps?

Thanks for any insight or direction you might offer.

Kind regards,

Kevin