From:
Emily-Jane Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:33:56 -0800
I looked in a couple of older gazetteers (*Ritters
geographisch-statistisches lexikon
<http://catalog.multcolib.org/record=b1323254~S1>*, published 1905-1906;
and *Nouveau dictionnaire de geographie universelle
<http://catalog.multcolib.org/record=b1336368~S1>*, published 1879-1895)
and found nothing under the spellings you gave.

It may help to remember that Bulgarian is written in the Cyrllic alphabet
and transliteration styles may have varied over time.  Also, the
contemporary nation of Bulgaria is of relatively recent vintage; Bulgaria
declared its independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1908.  I suspect the
borders have shifted over time, and Ottoman Empire-era names may not have
been commonly rendered in the Bulgarian language.

Best of luck!
 - Emily-Jane

*Emily-Jane Dawson*
*Reference Librarian*