From:
Nancy Kandoian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:10:56 -0400
I would like to add my voice to those mourning Mary Larsgaard's passing and
celebrating her generous and wise qualities as a map librarian.  As I wrote
to Jon just a month or two ago in the context of Mary Murphy and post-World
War II map cataloging, I went to a map librarianship workshop at Colorado
School of Mines in early 1979 when Mary L. was in charge of the map
collection there.  I had been in the Map Division at NYPL barely a year,
and this program that she hosted was my first formal training in map
librarianship as well as my first exposure to the fellowship of map
librarians.   My chief at the time let it be known that he didn't think I
would learn anything there that I couldn't learn at NYPL, but Alice Hudson,
as my more direct supervisor, encouraged me to go, knowing the inspiration
you can feel and camaraderie you can develop with colleagues from around
the country who are doing similar work.  That camaraderie was on display
among the workshop instructors, including Mary and David Cobb, as were
Mary's good nature, readiness to share, expertise, and thoroughness.  It's
great that so many of us were exposed to that and can carry Mary's spirit
with us and hopefully help to pass it on.

Nancy

Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, Room 117
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, New York 10018