From:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:37:28 -0500
The MARC standard allows for the description to capture all aspects of a
work that entails more than one named map on the same sheet.  The main
parts of description of the work are covered by various "200" or "2xx"
fields, the titles and statements of responsibility (245), added titles as
needed (246), edition statement (250) and cartographic mathematical
information (255).  The 255 information includes statement of scale,
projection statement, and coordinates.  This field is repeatable in cases
where there is more than one main map with different scales and
coordinates, and of course, projection statement when applicable.
Repeatable here means that more than one field can be used, each covering
one of the items included in the single published item.

There is another field that reiterates the scale and coordinates, with code
to indicate whether the scale is horizontal or verticle, and to give the
full set of east, west, north and south coordinates.  This field (034) is
also repeatable.  This field only covers numerically defined information,
and thus does not include projection information.

There is another set of fields, the so-called fixed fields, because each
uses a fixed number of characters in encoded form to indicate various
aspects of the publication.  This is usually one to four characters
depending on some variables for the type of information, and for the code
for a specific characteristic.  One of these fields covers a set of code
letters indicating a projection type, in a prescribed list.  It is this
latter field that led to my question.  The fixed field allows for a single
code for a single projection, and is not repeatable.

If could be possible to create another record to describe one of the maps.
However, the criteria for use of the MARC standards call for a single
record to describe a single publication.  Sometimes separate records have
been created for various reasons.  But the main drawback to doing so here
would be to give the impression to a potential user that different items
are being described when they are in fact on the same physical object (as
in the case of a short story anthology, or collection of essays, etc.).

Again, one place for indicating separate projections is available already,
in separate 255 fields (subfield 'b').  Another of the fixed fields covers
language of the publication.  This is not repeatable, either.  So the
convention, where more than one language is present, is to use the first
designated language.  Another field, 041, uses the same set of available
codes to indicate more than one language, or that it is multilingual.  This
is such a common occurrence, having more than one, or 'parallel' languages,
that I used this as the model to account for the two projections.  I used
the projection of the first named map to encode in the fixed field, and
covered both in the separate 255 fields.

I hope this makes sense to someone not familiar with the MARC standards.
By describing it this way, it helped me to consider exactly what I did, and
why.

Ken Grabach
Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries