From:
Craig Haggit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2022 09:17:07 -0600
Good morning,
This is a cataloging question regarding provider-neutral cataloging
<https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/specialcataloging.html#printondemandpublicationsandphotocopies>
records for reproductions. First time trying to create a record of this
nature, so... is the record I created done correctly or did I screw it up?

Some relevant background: A couple years ago we acquired a high-resolution
digital copy of a map covering a portion of Colorado
<https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p16079coll39/id/1151/rec/9>
from
a map dealer. We were unable to obtain the original, but that's a different
sad story. We did print out a high-quality reproduction from the digital
image, for which I created OCLC record 1319856604. Reproduction is at the
same scale as the original, or at least as close as we could make it. We
did not have access to the physical original.

I do understand the purpose of this type of record is to avoid duplication
for every variation of local reproduction out there, which makes sense, and
that this also knowingly violates some normal cataloging rules.

So, having never made one before, am I on the right track? Did I miss
something fundamental?

Thanks for any advice,
Craig

Craig Haggit
Senior Special Collections Librarian, Western History and Genealogy Dept.
Denver Public Library
10 West 14th Ave. Parkway
Denver, CO  80204
720-865-1813