Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 14:38:15 EDT
Mary,

We possess a globe made by Columbus Verlag Paul Oestergaard in
Berlin/Frankfurt (Germany) in 1981 which contains a
light-mechanism which shows day/night and shadowzones. The
mechanism is a rotating calendar, so you can follow the change in
seasons. The mechanism also contains a small magnifying-glass
which shows the position of the sun with respect to the plane of
the equator. For the moment - 24 April- I can see that the sun
rises some 12-13 degrees North of the equator, crawling slowly to
the Tropic of Cancer, and the North Pole is getting ready for
Midsummernight as light is already 24 hours present above 85
degrees North.
We also have a poster showing the seasons with regard to the sun,
but I find the globe more self-explanatory as the change can be
followed day by day.

Maybe there is an American globe-company which has the same kind
of globes!

Jan Smits
Map curator Royal Library, National Library of The Netherlands