From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:31:08 -0600
Subject:        Spatial Literacy and GIS workshops at AAG Annual Meeting
Date:   Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:27:23 -0500
From:   Jeremy Mennis <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>

Association of American Geographers

*Forum: General Information*

Topic: Spatial Literacy and GIS workshops at AAG Annual Meeting
Author: Ming-Hsiang Tsou

02/09/2009

Title: Spatial Literacy and GIS workshops at AAG Annual Meeting
<http://communicate.aag.org/eseries/source/Communities/viewDiscussionTopic.cfm?section=unknown&CmtyId=31&FrmId=35&TopicId=3305>
Author: Ming-Hsiang Tsou

02/09/2009

Some of you might be interested in the following workshops at the AAG
Annual Meeting (organized by ESRI staff).

(FYI ? all of the costs are determined by AAG to cover room
rental/equipment rental. ESRI does not keep any of the fees.)

--------------------------------

25. The Geographic Approach and Spatial Literacy
Thursday, March 26, 10:00am ? 12:00pm
Workshop Capacity: 50
Cost/person: $20
Room: Capri Meeting Room 107

As GIS professionals and geographers, we all understand the value of
geography. However, how well do we employ a geographic approach to
problem solving? Are we capable of thinking spatially and seeing
relationsh ips and patterns in multi-dimensions? The more we understand
our own skills and raise awareness of the geographic approach and
spatial literacy, the more we can help our organizations achieve
success. Explore and increase your abilities to think spatially through
a different look at geographic problem solving around the world with
this interactive collaborative workshop.

9. Teaching with ArcGIS Network Analyst

Monday, March 23, 9:00am ? 12:00pm
Workshop Capacity: 15
Cost/person: $50
Room: Capri Meeting Room 109

ArcGIS Network Analyst provides tools for conducting sophisticated
transportation analysis. The workshops covers functionality tha t is
available for solving different types of transportation network problems
- finding the most efficient route based on various costs and
impedances, finding the closest facility, defining service areas based
on travel time. Strong emphasis will be given on creating a good quality
network dataset that will enable this drive-time analysis. Utilizing
multimodal networks, i.e. using different transportation media (car,
train, subway, boat, etc.), will also be examined. Educators in urban
planning, transportation geography, logistics, and emergency management
will find the workshop particularly beneficial.

10. Spatial Analysis with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst and Spatial Statistics
< BR>
Monday, March 23, 1:30pm ? 4:30pm
Workshop Capacity: 15
Cost/person: $50
Room: Capri Meeting Room 109

This workshop covers tools that are available for conducting spatial
analysis, including the ArcGIS geoprocessing framework, the ArcGIS
Spatial Analyst extension, and the Spatial Statistics Toolbox. Attendees
will solve problems such as surface analysis, site suitability analysis,
and best cost path distance modeling. The ArcGIS geoprocessing
framework, which includes ArcToolbox and ModelBuilder, is emphasized.
The Spatial Statistics Toolbox will also be used for things such as
analyzing patterns, mapping clusters and measuring geographic
distributions. Educators in all areas of geography will find the
workshop beneficial.

For more information, please contact Angela Lee.

Angela Lee
ESRI Education Programs
880 Blue Gentian Rd, Suite 200
St Paul, MN 55121-1596