From:
Helen Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:25:29 EST
I was wondering if Cynthia had any further written statements about the
approx. distance of the air field away from the Tuskegee Institute.  It
was our impression that the air field was north east of town where the
current Moton Field is located.  It is located on a rare flat site for
the area at the Uphapee and Choctagaula Rivers intersection.  The old
1971 USGS Tuskegee Topo. shows the configuration of the airport before
it was completely changed for the 1983 revision of the topo.  The layout
of the old Moton field is very typical of the construction of WWII training
fields in Florida.  The fighter training fields were not as large as many
others so this is another possible factor to consider.  We had more than
3 dozen military training airfields in Florida during WWII and researchers
have been trying to locate them for some time.  Our 1940's aerial photos
for Florida counties have been very useful.  However, many of these fields
are not recognizable today.  One other interesting note is the airfield on
the old topo has the dashed lines often used for low maintance or dirt/grass
airstrips.  The modern field has asphalt runways.

You might check the Moton Field general manager or director of air operations
to see if this was the location of the Tuskegee airfield.  The airport
is listed in the NOAA NOS pubs: Airport/Facility Directory and the Terminal
Procedures Manual.  There is no phone number except for the afterhours
fueling one.  However, it does say the airport is attended from dawn to dusk.
The NOS pubs. also give the exact Lat. & Long. if you happen to be lucky
enough to unearth these for the WWII sight.

I hope this helps a little and I am curious to see what the actual location
of the field was. Please let us know when you find it.

HelenJane Armstrong, Head Map & Imagery Library, University of Florida