From:
Russell Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2017 10:57:46 -0500
Here is a list of international copyright
agreements between the US and other countries, current as of February 2017

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

It includes the Russian Federation.

Russell

At 08:07 AM 1/27/2017, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Here my "two grains of salt."
>
>All the maps -- even the digitized  ones -- and
>even if Russian are subject to Article 2 of the
>Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary
>and Artistic Works (that is also of maps and
>atlases). I'm not sure if the Russian signed
>them or not, BUT Russia signed the WIPO
>convention  on the protection of IP (so even of
>geographic maps and atlases, digitally considered databases).
>
>Furthermore, we have  to consider that the
>fourth part of Civic code of Russia of January
>1, 2008 on the protection of Intellectual
>Property has also been recognized by the World
>Intellectual Patent Organization (WIPO). This
>convention was signed in 1967 also by Russia.Â
>
>As far as I know, Russian and Soviet geographic
>maps, atlases, geographic services, even if
>digital (in which case are considered
>databases), in full or in part, exact or
>counterfeit, are protected by the above mentioned laws, everywhere.Â
>
>The use of Soviet maps should be possible,
>however I think, under  "fair use" (for education).
>
>I hope these helps.Â
>
>Lucia Lovison-Golob
>
>Geospatial Director of Afriterra Library, USA
>
>On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Brendan Whyte
><<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>The question is, why would Russian (or any other
>country's)Â copyright law have any effect on
>what you wanted to digitise or publish in the US?
>

>Surely in the US you apply US copyright law,
>irrespective of the copyright status of the work
>in Russia or anywhere else. Only if you were
>trying to market a book or other product *into*
>Russia might you need to worry about Russian
>law. But to scan and host the digitised
>material  in the USA, it's US law that applies,
>whether the material is public domain in Russia or not.
>

>Brendan Whyte

Russell Guy                             [log in to unmask]
Omnimap                                 http://www.omnimap.com
P.O. Box 2096                           Tel.:  336-227-8300
1004 South Mebane St.                        Fax:  336-227-3748
Burlington, NC 27216-2096 USA

Past President (1996), International Map Industry Association