From:
"Ratliff, Louise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:45:44 +0000
Hello collective wisdom,

   I recently had a conversation with a map cataloger at the University of Chicago, and we were debating classification of a single topo quad sheet for Allepo, Syria.  My custom has been to just classify to the city, and for the first subject heading I use "City x (country) Region--Maps.  At U of Chicago, they classify individual sheets to the city with a subject designation of "A1."

  I found this procedure to be from the ca. 1992 Map Cataloging Manual which says:

Subject Cutters:

A1 City Regions and Suburban Areas:

The city region and suburban are aspect of A1 applies only when the map in hand is not useful as a city map. Otherwise class under the city without A1.

Maps classed in A1 as city regions or suburbs have the subject heading [City] Region--Maps or [City] Suburban Area--Maps as appropriate (8)

More detailed maps of cities and metropolitan areas are not classed under the A1 subject Cutter.

Any other subject Cutter takes precedence over A1.

What do other institutions do?  Do we still use the "A1" designation for named quadrangle sheets?

Thanks a lot,

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian

UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center

11020 Kinross Avenue, Box 957230

Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230

(310) 206-5853