From:
Angela R Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:53:45 +0000

________________________________
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:25 PM
To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.
Subject: Re: MAPS-L Digest - 20 Sep 2016 to 21 Sep 2016 (#2016-187)

Ken,

Probably the old British 1:63,360 sheet is the best map of the city in the early 20th century, though Rennell's map of Bengal in the 1700s will show it too.

A Bengal atlas : containing maps of the theatre of war and commerce on that side of Hindoostan / compiled from the original surveys; and published by order of the Honourable the Court of Directors for the Affairs of the East India Company ; by James Rennell late Major of Engineers, and Surveyors General in Bengal
1780

plate 12 (of 13) is . Plan of the environs of the City of Dacca

A colour copy can be ordered from us for $16.50 paper/$45 digital,

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/6346859

or you could use the online version Gale digitised of the 1781 edition. Dacca is still plate 4.

<http://find.galegroup.com/mome/infomark.do?&source=gale&prodId=MOME&userGroupName=nla&tabID=T001&docId=U105984550&type=multipage&contentSet=MOMEArticles&version=1.0&docLevel=FASCIMILE>.

I doubt there's anything earlier/more detailed than this.

Brendan Whyte

National Library of Australia