From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:05:07 -0600
Subject:        Re: Yet another genre/form question
Date:   Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:56:25 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi Chris,

Both of these were added after the initial round of new f/g cartographic
headings were released, I don't have the time to look around and see if
there's another, new, comprehensive list "out there" but doing an
authority search on both reveals the new 655 headings, which verifies
that they are real and to be used in bib. record creation practice. We
here at PSU are using both, and investigating potentially using
something like MARCEdit to assist us in doing global conversions
retrospectively in particular with those headings such as "Geological
maps" in which we have many thousands of records (others also include
"Topographic maps", "Tourist maps", and "Quadrangle maps").

And yes, one is to use "Thematic maps" in any instance in which you have
a topic-based map in which no other specific f/g cartographic heading
exists (at this time) to cover the topic. Additionally, and
uncomfortably I might add, for the same reason that "Thematic maps" is
also uncomfortable to use, if you have a general, non-theme/topic map
one is to use 655 Maps. In both cases these headings/terms are so
general as to almost be useless. However, an excellent reason for moving
in this direction was shared with us recently by LC, having to do with
separate form/genre indexes at the local level that would only index
terms in the 655 field, in particular the newest discovery systems will
put these indexes to great use through faceting applications. As noted
to us, "Many libraries have (or will have) separate genre/form indexes
that index only the 655 and not the $v. We don't want to exclude
materials from that index, and the way that we will include them is to
put a 655 on every record." Makes good sense to me!

Paige