From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:01:26 -0400
Subject: RE: scanning encapsulated maps]]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:19:48 +1000
From: Maura O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Dawn
We house our rare map collections in mylar pockets.  The pockets are made up
for us in about 15-20 sizes with handkerchief roll edges on 3 sides, the
fourth side left open so we can remove the map if we need to. We will then
for scanning, etc, but not for reader use. As far as I am aware the Mylar
allows the maps to "breathe" and even those that are sealed have not
suffered any problems.  We also have the maps flat in metal drawers, the
cabinets for which are then housed in a room with temperature and humidity
controls so that the environment stays within acceptable, stable limits.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia