From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 14:36:13 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Laval University Campus in Google Earth
Date:   Tue, 16 May 2006 12:41:09 -0500
From:   Derek Tonn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Angie,

The link to that .kmz file wasn't working for me, but the following link
(found in the message from Larry Laliberte) got me to a nice description
of the project:
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/05/laval_universit.html

For what it is worth, our firm is currently beginning the process of
designing a 360-degree campus map for the University of St. Thomas in
Saint Paul, Minnesota.  Rather than the gray "cubes" found in the Laval
map, however, we are actually depicting the entire campus in full color,
plus adding in detailed building features such as windows, doors, etc.
It is a major undertaking, taking a lot more time than simply drawing a
basic building's shape.  However, we are really trying to push the
boundaries of this type of project...especially now that Google owns the
software we use (SketchUp) to develop this type of image.

Not sure if that is of interest at all, but I was VERY excited to see
Laval publicizing this type of project.  There are precious-few campus
maps of this type in the world today....but my guess is that 10-15 years
from now, many campuses will have 2nd/3rd generation 360-degree maps on
their web sites and virtual tours.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Derek Tonn

mapformation