From:
Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:49:47 EST
Describing the maps in Petermann's Mittheilungen from 1855
onwards, usually scales are given as a scale denominator
accompanied by a bar scale. The bar scale has a certain amount of
measures (e.g. German geographic miles, English statute miles,
Wiener Klaften, Camel hours, etc.) followed by a statement that
so and so many go into 1 degree longitude at the equator (e.g.
German miles = 15 in 1 degree).

Petermann was very precise in using scales in his maps, when
possible, and always used the same values. For some reason he was
not always sure what an English (never British!) Statute Mile
denominated as he used values between 69.13 and 69.16 in 1 degree
longitude at the equator (Up till now I have described all maps
between 1855 and 1870, altogether some 550). As most maps have
scales between 1:1,000,000 and 1:5,000,000 the difference is not
significant. But knowing his preciseness in statements and his
English past before he came to Perthes in Germany  this is rather
peculiar.

When I find the time I'll try to summarize his scale bar
denominations as there are some very exotic local ones included.

Jan Smits
Map Curator Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The
Netherlands
tel: +31 70 3140241
fax: +31 70 3140450
e-mail: [log in to unmask]