From:
Martin Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:01:19 +0000
Nice find Michael. In my view its an interesting topic and not well understood how adept young people were meant to be in a variety of map related pursuits in the early 1900s. In the UK, Australia etc the ‘boys’ own’ annuals are another good source. Along with a regular diet of heroes and villains, ‘strange’ lands and people, and the latest technology,  tuition in recon and mapping were regular topics in compilations such as The Boy’s Own Annual, The Australian Boy’s Annual, The Empire Annual for Boys, Chums and others. Early Scouting publications are another possibility - ‘Real Scouts must be able to read a map’, and better still how to make one.

I’d be interested in seeing a few sample images if you contact me offline – our holdings of TBM don’t go back that far.

Thanks,

Martin

Martin Woods | Curator of Maps

National Library of Australia  | T: +61 2 62621280 M: 0404193366

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.nla.gov.au<http://www.nla.gov.au>

Parkes Place, Parkes ACT 2600