From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:21:58 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:46:45 -0400
From: "L. A. Nadybal" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Doubly-landlocked countries" - 5 more with *

As long as we're into the esoteric in this thread,
then I suggest that you must add Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany
and Italy to the list of the doubly landlocked, for parts of these
four countries fit the bill.

Like a Roger Maris 61-home run record, these would naturally have
to have an asterisk and a footnote because it applies only in
part.

Switzerland, being landlocked, has one piece each of Italy and
Germany inside it, creating a Liechtenstein-like parallel for these
portions of their respective mother countries.  Belgium and the
Netherlands, which unlike Switzerland, border on the sea,
each have pieces inside them of the other.  That in itself would not
make the enclaves "doubly landlocked", but some of these these enclaves
have pieces inside them that belong to the other country.

There may be other similar situations.

With respect to Azerbaijan, it has a small piece or two in the extreme
northwest of it inside otherwise landlocked Armenia.  There's also a
piece of Naxcivan Autonomous Replublic (which is a large detached
piece of of Azerbaijan) inside Armenia.  So, if you consider than an
autonomous republic of Azerbaijan belongs on the list, then it too,
should be added.

Tajikistan and Uzbekistan are others.  The have three exclaves between
them (the Uzbeks having two), in Kyrgyzstan's southwestern panhandle.
All three of these countries are landlocked, meaning they too, can be
added to the asterisked part of the list.

Any others?

Len Nadybal
Washington DC