From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:54:56 EST
This message is from Aimee Quinn.-----------------------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:37:02 -0800 (PST)
>From: AIMEE QUINN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ASCLA's proposed merger with GODORT (fwd)

Folks,

Below is a factsheet prepared by the GODORT Ad Hoc Committee on the=20
Organization to address questions regarding ASCLA's proposed merger with=20
the Round Tables of ALA.  It is our hope that this fact sheet will help=20
stimulate discussion of this topic.  If you have any questions or=20
concerns regarding ASCLA's proposal or the factsheet, please let one of=20
the committee members know.  At this time, we (the committee) have not=20
reached any recommendation and really need your input to guide our thinking=
.

Thanks a bunch,

Aimee Quinn (on behalf of the committee). =20

BTW:  the committee members are:

Sandy Peterson, Yale Univ. <[log in to unmask]> CHAIR
Dan Barkley, Univ. of New Mexico <[log in to unmask]>
Francis Buckley, Shaker Heights Public Library <[log in to unmask]>
Maurie Kelley, Univ. ov Illinois at Chicago, <[log in to unmask]>
Ridley Kessler, Univ. of North Carolina <[log in to unmask]>
Aimee Quinn, Univ. of Nevada Las Vegas <[log in to unmask]>
Mary Redmond, New York State Library <[log in to unmask]>
Larry Romans, Vanderbilt Univ. <[log in to unmask]>
Jack Sulzer, Penn State University <[log in to unmask]>
Kathy Tezla, Emory Univ. <[log in to unmask]>
---

ASCLA'=92S PROPOSED MERGER WITH GOORT

As a result of a proposal to restructure ALA round tables, GODORT and
several other round tables have been invited to discontinue round table
status and re-form as sections of the Association of Specialized and
Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA).  ASCLA felt that by becoming a
section in their division GODORT would receive the following benefits:

=09* Increased support from division staff, represented by a division
=09executive director, deputy executive director and an administrative
=09secretary at ALA Headquarters;

=09* Strategic linkages both within ALA and outside the Association;

=09* Technical support for publications and activities;

=09* Increased support for program planning;

=09* Division status;

=09* Increased voice in ALA Council (representation by a councilor);

=09* Ability to set standards and guidelines for the field; and

=09* Participation in legislative committee activities.

The Ad Hoc Committee on Organization felt that the ASCLA proposal was worth
consideration because it would give us:

=09* Representation on the ALA Council;

=09* Full time staff at ALA HQ

=09* Retention of existing task force and committee structure; and

=09* Three members on the division=92s executive boad and representation on=
=20
=09all division committees;

After investigation, it is clear to the Ad Hoc Organization Committee that
there are several areas of concern that require discussion.  Affiliation
as a section of a division would:

=09* add additional layers of organizational structure to our=20
=09decision-making;

=09* change the status of GODORT"=92s relationship with ALA, ALA/COL, other=
=20
=09library organizations, Congressional and Executive agencies, and=20
=09state/local/international agencies and organizations;

=09* bring under review by the newly formed division the publishing budget=
=20
=09of DttP and other GODORT publications; and

=09* increases membership dues and greatly affects financial and budgetary
=09flexibility. form as sections of the Association of Specialized and
=09Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA). =20