From:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2018 19:49:39 -0400
I don't wish to get snarky here, but for a Master's thesis, I think the
best information for the classics would be the ancient texts, Homer, the
plays that refer to the Homeric stories (Aeschylus's Agamemnon from the
Orestaia comes to mind), perhaps Aeschylus's Persians, related to the naval
war between Athens and Persia (Aeschylus was a participant).  I suggest the
student start reading!  Thucydides Persian Wars, might give some insights.
But for the ancient world, that is probably about what one could find.  But
she *does* need to start reading.  She could confer with the Classics Dept.
for suggestions of good translations to use, perhaps the Loeb editions
(green are Greek, Red are Latin), which are parallel translations.  Sorry,
and I don't mean to sound mean-spirited, but they didn't compile Naval
Observatory data at that time, or at least for public consumption!

I am sure various colleagues can suggest contemporary sources for the
modern era.
I have been taking some courses in retirement involving the classical
literature.

Ken Grabach
(retired, Miami University)
209 Springwood Drive