From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2011 08:58:03 -0600
Subject: Re: Digital Map Feedback,The New US Topo Maps
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 07:25:23 -0600
From: Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for sharing that with us Carlos.  I find
it very interesting.  I like the direction the USGS
is going with this, except for the fact that they are
using the PDF format.  Hopefully that will work out
in the long run.

If anybody knows of any list server, publication,
blog, or whatever that accurately follows the proceedings
of the USGS Topo Maps program, I'd be interested in
hearing about it.

Mike Flannigan

On 12/8/2011 11:08 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Subject:        Fwd: Re: Digital Map Feedback,The New US Topo Maps
> Date:   Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:21:35 -0800
> From:   Carlos Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask], DOCTECH-L <[log in to unmask]>,
>

> Earlier today, I had some questions about the US Topo maps. The USGS
> promptly sent me a response to my inquiries already.
> Scroll to the bottom of the email to read my email to them before
> reading the response they sent me at the top of the message.

> The original USGS topographic map series (1945-1992) included several
> feature classes that are not yet shown on US Topos.  Examples include
> railroads, recreational trails, pipelines, power lines, survey markers,
> PLSS, and many types of buildings.  In all cases, the problem is that
> there are no national data sources suitable for general-purpose,
> 1:24,000-scale maps.  For many of these feature classes, USGS is working
> with other agencies to develop data or adapt existing data. Over time as
> these data become available and included in The National Map they will be
> added to US Topo.  For an overview of the program and the philosophy
> of US
> Topo content, see the article at
> http://www.directionsmag.com/articles/us-topo-a-new-national-map-series/178707

snip