From:
"Fry, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2018 17:45:12 -0400
Question(s) for you map catalogers out there.

We're doing a retrospective cat project to get all of our old "classic" Nat
Geo maps cataloged and accessible via OPAC, etc. Many of these maps are
actually "2 maps on one sheet"--e.g., a physical or thematic of some place
on one side, and a political or reference map of the same place on the
other.

In these cases, it's often the case that neither map is more important
cartographically than the other. So to the extent that MARC necessarily (?)
forces catalogers to emphasize the "main" map over all others (insets,
etc.), I want to direct our cataloger to minimize the inequality of
cataloging and description. To the greatest extent possible, I want/need
both maps fully described and findable; I don't want one side relegated to
a few words in a 500 field, for example.

Any tips on how to best accomplish this? I see records in Worldcat for some
of these maps that put both titles in the 245 field, list 6xx fields that
appear to cover both sides, etc. Are these legit approaches? Are there
others you'd recommend?

Thanks very much for your input.

Michael

--
Michael Fry
Collections Manager | Map Library Manager

[image: Nat Geo Logo Yellow_Black.png] <http://www.nationalgeographic.org>

1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036

[image: Email-Signature8.gif] <https://donate.nationalgeographic.org/em-sig>