From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 14:20:18 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:53:01 -0700
From: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:Some responses to questions - Sample scan of old AMS-series
index - is this useful to you? <fwd>
Sender: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>

At 02:08 PM 5/9/01 -0400, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:
>There are 5 messages on the 'scan old AMS-series index' topic attached
>below.  --Moderator
>
>XXXXXXXXXXXX Message 1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:28:26 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
>From: Julie Sweetkind <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sample scan of old AMS-series index - is this useful to
>you? <fwd>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>
>Mary,
>
>I would find these quite useful.  I have been searching for AMS indicies for
>the 1:50,000 sets of China.  I finally gave up and have started to create my
>own. I would be happy to make copies of these if you would like to add them to
>the scanned group.

**YES, please, Julie :-)

>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Message 4 XXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>Hello Mary,
>
>Thank you for taking the time and effort to scan the A.M.S. map index.  I'm
>very partial to the A.M.S. materials and I'm probably the only one who uses
>them in the LSU Cartographic Information Center.  We have a large
>collection of the A.M.S. indexes all bound in an old, heavy, large (11x17)
>expandable two post binder which my student staff calls the "Witches Spell
>Book" because it looks like a prop from a horror movie.   Because of this
>arrangement, it makes it hard to remove the pages to make a copy to help a
>map librarian who needs a map index so having somebody else scanning them
>and making them available would be helpful.
>
>Some specifics on your questions:
>
>I would use the files to fill in gaps in our index map binder. The A.M.S.
>maps are the resource of last resort when trying to find coverage of an
>area out of scope for our current collection or trying to find historical
>information.  The only time I go directly to the A.M.S. map indexes is when
>a patron is researching a place name for tracing genealogy.   In these
>cases I start by searching for the placename on GEONet to find the NIMA
>1501 sheet designator then I determine the old A.M.S. series for that area.
>Most of our users don't know how to use a map index.   I think I have used
>the A.M.S index maps twice this year for patrons.
>
>If the indexes were available on the web, would it help to have a list of
>what map libraries have the map series?

**This is a question that has arisen in the past, and yes,
it would.  If we all cataloged on OCLC and if we all had
fully cataloged collections, that would take care of the
problem.  I did at one point - maybe 10 years ago - start
up a list of major map series and what libraries had them,
given that just persuading a library director that the collection
needs cataloging takes some time - and then the actual
cataloging takes even more time ...
It was helpful but my time didn't allow keeping it going.

>  I tried to determine what series
>would be in a typical A.M.S. collection for an article but it proved
>difficult.  One problem with putting indexes or lists on the web is when
>patrons find them, they expect to be able to download the whole map sheet
>also.
>
>The file size is large and hard to print so 100dpi might be better.
>
>Would it be possible to get the Library of Congress to scan their A.M.S.
>map indexes?  They had many of them in 1996 when I was at the Summer
>Project.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>John M. Anderson
>Map Librarian and Director
>Cartographic Information Center
>Department of Geography & Anthropology
>LSU
>Baton Rouge, LA 70803
>

>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Message 5 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>------------------ Mary,
>
>very encouraging! this is much better than when we tried it (and we
>went to the 4Mbyte range, too). how did they keep the verso from
>bleeding through? answer can wait, just tell me if we'll be able to
>duplicate the feat.

**Larry, I've turned your question over to the persons who did the work :-)

>our preservation funding window of opportunity is open right now. since
>i'm under continual mandate to downsize the map room footprint,  can
>probably get support (i.e. starting with right-sized items, e.g. all
>those ww2 OSS intelligence maps).

**Good! please let us know what you're able to get scanned.

>have you sampled any usgs state indexes using this technique?

**no, because our maximum scan size is 11x17" - which
means the AMS indexes are perfect!!
oops, sorry - you mean the pamphlet-style USGS indexes?
nope, haven't done those.