From:
Christopher Fleet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 09:02:31 EST
Dear All,

I have recently moved to the Map Library of the National Library
of Scotland in order to develop an automated map catalogue for
the collection. At this initial stage, the main dilemma is
whether to fall into line with the existing NLS bibliographic
automated database, which is based on VTLS, or whether to acquire
separate software to allow more cartographic search requirements
to be met, such as using a graphical interface to records.

I am therefore keen to hear from anyone out there who is using
VTLS for cartographic materials who could pass on any evaluative
remarks on the subject. A recent message posted to VTLSLIST
yielded only one response (from the Universitat Autonoma de
Barcelona, who were experimenting with loading cartographic
records into VTLS from a separate database) but I feel sure there
must be others out there...

Please address any replies to me personally, and I shall
summarise any responses I get for MAPS-L if this is felt to be
useful.

Many thanks,

Chris Fleet

Christopher Fleet              [log in to unmask]
National Library of Scotland   Telephone  +44 (0)31 226 4531
Edinburgh, Scotland.           Fax        +44 (0)31 220 6662