From:
"Zellmer, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 08:33:17 -0500
Hello,

I already sent my opinion to Chris off list. I recommended EJ Screen from
the EPA. It has demographics and a lot of other layers that you can add. It
is also possible to add data from a Web Map Service, which I discovered
several years ago and shared on this list. Below you will find some
instructions that I wrote up on the site and on adding a web map service to
EJ Screen. This is a combination of exploring EJ Screen and adding data
from a map service.

Exploring Data and Combining Data Sets in Online in EJScreen

1. Connect to the Environmental Protection Agency’s EJScreen website (
https://www.epa.gov/ejscreen) and click on Launch EJScreen Tool.

2. Enter a place name to view a map of a specific location. Explore the
various types of hazards in the area by clicking on Add Maps.

3. Choose EJScreen Maps. A box will open on the left side of the page
showing the various types of environmental hazards. Choose a data category,
variable and then click Add to Map. Data for that variable will be mapped.
After exploring the various data categories, click X to close out the
EJScreen Maps.

4. Choose Add Maps and then Additional Maps. Choose EJScreen Environmental
Sites and Sites Reporting to EPA. Click in the check boxes to turn the
various types of sites off and on.

5. Choose Add Maps and then More Demographics. Explore the various
demographic data available in EJScreen. Note that it is also possible to
vary the colors used to map the data, the method of classifying the data
and the number of breaks. Choose a population category, variable, and color
and then click Add to Map.

6. Click on Add Maps, Search for Maps and then Add Map Services.

7. Add the URL to the map service of interest, such as the PAD-US WMS:
https://gis1.usgs.gov/arcgis/rest/services/PADUS1_4/Comb_Protected_Green/MapServer
and then click Add to Map. The protected land areas and parks in the region
of interest will be shown with the environmental data.

Linda Zellmer
--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian