From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:09:31 -0600
----- Forwarded message from Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]> -----
    Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:21:28 -0600
    From: Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: raised relief maps
      To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum" <>

 It's unfortunate to justify discarding something because no one has
> ever used
> it when the users never knew it was there in the first place.

I hope I'm not belaboring the obvious to point out that these days
any student assistant can take a quick digital photo of the object
and make a plain-paper printout that can be filed more conveniently.
So an 11 x 17 photoprint of the raised relief map, filed with the
corresponding 1:250,000 topo sheet, gets noted by anyone looking at
that area.

I'd suggest this is also an excellent way to reduce wear and tear on
other fragile or oversized objects that would be valuable to a few
patrons but need not be handled by all.  With maps, a picture truly
IS worth a lot of words in a catalog record.

Dennis

----- End forwarded message -----