From:
"Angie Cope, American Geographical Society Library UWM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:42:08 -0500

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005
From: "Barry, John W. [C]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: MAPS-L: RE: Records to Pieces Ratio

Jenny,
At NGA (United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency), we
catalog every sheet with one (or more, see below)bibliographic record in
our Voyager system.  Each sheet in a series has its own bib record, and
if the sheet has insets, each inset gets cataloged as well, in a
"bound-with" relationship with its parent.  Foreign/native products are
handled the same way.  As we have multiple holdings locations, each
location can have a various number of copies.  We have found that an
estimation of the bib to sheet ratio depends on a variety of things:

    * Are there insets?  Hydrographic sheets commonly have at least 1-4
      insets.  Topographic sometimes have only 1.
    * How many locations hold this item?
    * Is it NGA or non-NGA (native product)?
    * How many copies are retained at each location for the item type?

We find that it is impossible to set an average ratio over the entire
collection, since native Topo lithos may be 1:1 (one copy held at one
location) while Hydro DNCL's can be 1:10, and NGA series sheets can be
1:20 (they are held all over the place).  We are trying to get to a
state of 1:1 by digitizing our collection and retaining only one
archival copy, but we are years from achieving that.

So, as for your question:
Is there any kind of ratio that can be expected for the number of
bibliographic records to the number of pieces in a "typical," fully
cataloged map collection?
I would have to say "No", since the ratio depends on many factors which
may be atypical or unique to your own collection, your own method of
"full" cataloging, and your own retention policy.

v/r,
John W Barry [C]
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
Software Engineer
EDC / e-Library Team
Bethesda, MD
(T) 301-227-2103 (F) 301-227-5059

"To understand your enemy, you must walk a mile
in his shoes.  Then, if he is still your enemy, you are
a mile away and he has no shoes."