From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:06:12 -0500
Subject: Re: air photos of Japan -- Hokkaido 1970s/1980s?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:11:08 +0900
From: Reese W. Plews <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Andrew,

you can search aerial photos on GSI's archive site,
http://archive.gsi.go.jp/airphoto/

pricing
http://www.gsi.go.jp/MAP/kounyu.html#photo

not sure what your needs are, but images will probably need to be
ordered and purchased, as the online images on the above archive site
are probably not suitable your needs.

suitable date ranges exist for your patron. most appear to be
monochrome. i did find color images from 1976.

some screenshots are available for download.
http://plewsconsulting.com/downloads/yagi-gawa.rar

it may be possible that other images exist either in raw form or
processed (orthos). possible options would be local govt office
(hakodate?), prefecture office, or private company (aerial survey
company). not impossible to find but would take some time and pricing
will, most likely, be prohibitive.

some photos can be purchased online through the japan map center (JMC)
through their net shopping page, but they are not set up to handle
foreign orders, so there will be difficulty.

japanese language skills will be essential for you or your patron to
follow through with this.

orders of prints will take about 2 weeks. i would estimate 20-30 days
for searching, ordering and shipping/receipt to you.

i have helped a number of foreign organizations obtain geospatial data
from japan and i would be happy to discuss this with you more.

please contact me off list.

-- reese plews
plews consulting
geospatial services