From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:39:56 -0400
Subject: Setting Library Scanning Fees
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:00:21 -0500
From: "Cook, Karen S" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Can you provide information about the rationale you have used to set
scanning and color plotting/printing fees in an academic library? Web
sites
for other libraries indicate that such fees vary widely, but the basis
used
to set them is not often stated.

Here at the University of Kansas patrons presently have free
self-service
access to an 11"x17" scanner in the T.R. Smith Map Collection.
Large-format
scanning (24" x 36") and color plotting services are provided by the
adjacent GIS and Numeric Data Lab. We need to charge for some of the
large-format services to help cover some of our staff time, equipment,
materials and maintenance costs.

Here are some questions that occur to us:

Do your rates differentiate between individual patrons and groups (such
as
grant-funded projects, university departments and offices, state
agencies
based on campus or off, commercial firms, etc.)? What about
differentiating
between university (faculty, staff, students) and non-university
individual
patrons? Do your fees include staff time? Materials (paper, ink,
CD-ROMs,
etc.)? The service contract for the scanner/plotter?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Karen Cook
Interim Map Librarian
Thomas R. Smith Map Collection
University of Kansas