From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:26:54 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:42:36 -0500
From: Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Map Cataloging question
Sender: Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

I have a cataloging question regarding the 245 field and the use of the subfield $p.  I recently posted this question on the autocaters list so I apologize for the cross posting.

I'm wondering how widely it is used. The specific maps I've encountered with the $p are the B&B city streets  "series" where the record might appear as follows:
245 $a B&B city streets. $p Seattle 1:15 000 etc  (this is from a DLC record)

It seems that a lot of audiovisual catalogers use this frequently and I'm curious about map cataloging. What is your interpretation of this use versus, say, a 440 or a 500 note or something.

Thanks.

Angie Cope
Map Catalog Librarian
American Geographical Society Library